FABRICATION WORKSHOP MANAGER
A Machining, Fabrication and Maintenance Engineering Company in the Dunedin area, specialising in designing, manufacturing and installing industrial machinery across Australasia are looking for a Fabrication Workshop Manager, to join an outstanding dynamic team environment, focusing mainly on manufacturing systems, with a good variety of work.
This is an excellent and rare opportunity to join a well-established company with a wide range of clients in the timber, food, fertiliser and mineral industries. You will be confident in taking on new challenging, remain level headed and able to easily work under pressure. Involved in various projects from large scale conveyors / materials handling systems right through to blenders, agitators and separators, including safe guarding and access/walkways.
- Highly responsible job, overseeing projects in the manufacturing / installation of conveyor systems, large structural containers, raised platforms including smaller projects for local businesses.
- Mainly based in the workshop, a good understanding of workshop processes is essential
- Managing the day-to-day running of the workshop and supervising over 20 staff daily
- Solid business acumen ensuring effective control of costs and achieving operational budgets by the smooth running of the business, including budgets, pricing jobs etc.
- Participate in the setting of departmental budgets, comparing these with the actual financial results.
- Assist in identifying any issues / opportunities to improve the company’s profitability and service to clients.
- Daily meeting with clients, aligning operations to deliver superior products
- Field enquiries from clients regarding project work & liaise with design department to ensure most effective timely responses.
- Liaise with design staff, quoting projects accurately & pre-determining costs, rates & margins for the supply of materials, equipment and services.
- Control the use of all stock, materials and consumables to ensure they are all recorded and used efficiently with minimal waste, including the selecting, cleaning and preparing of metal stock.
- If required, able to mark off, cut, weld and fabricate various metals including structural steel for repairs and maintenance on various products, structures and vessels either in workshop or onsite.
- Previous hands on fabrication / welding experience including shaping and bending metal sections / pipes being able to align the parts, then joining metal sections by using various methods including welding, bolting and riveting, hand tools and measuring instruments.
- Quality assurance of welds width of bead, penetration and precision, ensuring all finished welds are cleaned and smoothed by filing, polishing, chiselling and grinding.
- Use of various machines / hand tools including cutting torches and metal cutting machines.
- Review all projects upon completion, with project managers and design staff, to ensure success.
- Able to diagnose and/or suggest improvements to the design / build process if necessary.
- A passion for ensuring standard operating and distribution procedures are implemented and continuously improved upon
- Provide quarterly reports to the board of directors regarding Fabrication Workshop performance.
- Ensure all timesheets, job sheets and other written reports are completed correctly as required and submitted on time.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties which may be requested from time to time
- Develop an understanding of 3D SolidWorks Software, enabling you to do basic drawings and extract details, PDF’s and dimensions from other drawings if required.
- Off-site client visits around Dunedin and New Zealand if / when required.
- A strong Health and Safety focus, being actively involved in all issues, consistently championing Health, Safety and Quality Assurance procedures & implementing them in all operations.
- Clear proven understanding of workshop processes with strong Fabrication skills
- Previous hands-on Workshop Management & MIG Welding experience essential
- Able to work from blueprints, drawings, engineering plans etc
- Trade Qualified in Boilermaking, Welding, Fabrication, Metal Fabrication
- Maintain good clear communications with management, supervisors, staff & clients
- A contributing staff member of a “team work orientated business”.
- Proven leadership and coaching skills, to assist in training apprentices & junior staff.
- Knowledge of Competenz training software is very beneficial
- Understanding and hands on skills of financial budgeting and costing
- Good written and verbal English skills
- Able to work overtime if / when required
- A positive, can-do attitude with a customer services focus, a good work ethic and be physically fit
- Your CV must REFLECT your experience covering the key points of description above
Wage: Remuneration negotiable according to your skills, knowledge & level of experience
Job type: Full time – Permanent job.
Hours: 8am-5pm M-F (40 hours) (overtime depending on workload)
Location: Dunedin area
Dennis Mawhinney – Appointments Recruitment Specialists
Free Ph 0800 030 125 (even from cell phones with no credit within NZ)
Mobile 021 888 500 or (09) 478 9954
Important Additional Requirements to Note:
- Your CV must be included & detailed with your relevant work experience to date.
- A brief Cover Letter outlining your past work experience, your current work situation and
all experience you have relating to the above Job Description is included in cover letter too.
- Please put your name and trade in the subject line of your email, as I receive many applications a day and this will help me find your application a lot easier.
- Note your eligibility to work in NZ, this is very important and a requirement for certain jobs.
- If you have contacted Appointments Recruitment Specialists before, you are welcome to do so once again and we would be pleased to hear from you.